Friday, January 15, 2010

"Call 911...Really?"

If you read my last entry, you are aware that it has been unseasonably cold here in Florida. This of course has required us to run the heat at night & sometimes during the day.
This morning at 3:15am, a smoke detector went off in the house. I remember lying there wishing Jeremy to remove the battery & go back to sleep (as a low battery can set off the detector). Funny thing is, the smoke detector is hard wired in. Next thing I know, Jeremy is calling for me to get up & come help him...help him with what? It didn't take long for me to smell the smoke in the house, but we couldn't see where it was coming from.
I'm thankful for Jeremy's past experience as a volunteer firefighter (they say you marry your father & in this light I had!). He decided that it was probably the motor seizing on our heater and told me to call 911. I said "really?"..."no, really you want me to call 911?".
While we waited outside in the Florida cold :-) for the fire dept, I saw 2 deer run clear across our yard...what a crazy night. Our neighbors came out with Ms.Theresa yelling "girl, I though you were in labor!". The fire dept used their cute little thermal cameras (thank the Lord they didn't use the axes they were carrying into the house). They opened up the heater & determined that Jeremy's hunch was correct. About 4:15, we were crawling back into bed...but there was little sleep to be had as Jeremy would have to be up for work early and this pregnant mama couldn't sleep.
The heat guy just finished swapping out the capacitator (which was causing the problem-don't ask me what it is). I'm glad he changed it out today as I prefer not to "freeze" the night away (I scraped frost off my car the other day people, it really has been 'cold'...I haven't gone completely Floridian yet!). It's been a busy day with the tile guy here, Direct TV to replace our box, the irrigation guy & a shower door vendor in for the bathroom. We are so thankful for the smoke detector that woke us before a fire started...and even more thankful that God is watching over us! We are thankful too that God is watching over you as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! If anything had happened to you guys and that precious, precious cargo you are carrying, the devastation would have been unbearable. Thank God for smoke detectors and mercy. I love you and think about you and Baby Young ALL the time. Consider yourselves hugged and kissed!

Auntie K xxx