Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Feeling Much Better

The flu hit me pretty hard! On Sunday, my body had enough. I was unable to keep food/fluids down and ended up with stronger, more regular contractions. My midwife sent me to Winnie Palmer Women & Children's Hospital. My labs showed poor nutrition & that my body was breaking down fat to make me energy (for our medical friends, urine ketones >160, albumin 3.2, K+ 3.5). After 2500ml of IV Fluid, 2 different IV nausea meds and 6 hours we were finally discharged home. I was monitored for contractions while there...the contractions haven't stopped, but are very irregular and not causing any problems. It was quite the rough evening for both of us (Jeremy had less than 5 hours of sleep before getting up to work a 12 hour shift). The hospital and it's staff were terrific! Jeremy bought the staff some cookies...a little 'thank you' for taking good care of me. The baby is doing well. Heart rate was in the 160's. We had a midwife appointment today. The baby is doing great and I'm doing much better. The midwife recommended more protein in my diet as well as progesterone cream to help with the uterine cramping/contractions. Jeremy & I decided that I would take the rest of this week off to rest. Most days I sleep until 10am, get up for 2 hours and go back to bed. Hopefully I'll be up to speed by next week (which will only be a 3 day work week). I'm hanging in here...and I've learned that my health is important too (I was focused on the baby & didn't care for myself as well as I should have). I will only be traveling in Florida now until the baby comes. I will keep you all posted on life & it's happenings...although I can tell you at this point, I'd rather be writing that there's "no new news" and "no news is good news".
Love to you all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you Grace! You've got to take care of yourself FOR the baby. *huge hugs*
~Heather~

Kellei said...

Thinking of you gal! I had the flu when I was pregnant with Devin...totally miserable! Be fully recovered soon!
Kellei

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace,
I hope you are feeling better. I'm thinking of you and Jeremy and your baby. Lots of love, Aunt Rachel :)